International Student Information

Verification Requests

If you need advisor verification for a Terra Dotta request, please fill out the appropriate form linked below. Within a few business days, you will receive an email that has more information and next steps for you to follow.

Please see the ISS pages below for more information about each of these:


If you have questions or concerns about your specific situation, please reach out to an advisor for help:

  • For questions about your F-1 status, I-20, and other ISS-related things, please contact your ISS advisor.
  • For questions about remaining degree or major requirements, please reach out to Morgan Adams.

Employment Information

SuccessWorks has a page with information about career services for international students if you want some help job searching in the US. Be sure to check out the “Helpful Resources” box that’s underneath the “Timeline and More” section.

On-campus Employment

Please see this website for detailed information. In short, on-campus employment is on UW-Madison premises or an educationally-affiliated off-campus location and must not displace a US citizen or lawful permanent resident. You are limited to working 20 hours per week except at certain times of year (see website above for specific dates). The linked website also has a list of locations that count as on-campus and examples of locations that need work authorization.

Off-campus Employment

You must have approved work authorization before you start working. Working even one day without authorization will put your F-1 status at risk. Unpaid or volunteer positions also need authorization. Please see the following websites for more information:

Please reach out to your ISS advisor if you have questions about work authorization. If you have questions about whether a position relates to your major or not, contact Morgan Adams.


Please refer to this website when planning for travel within and outside of the US (including your home country). Planning ahead is important so you can secure a travel signature and any other documents necessary for your travel.